Aventurine is a type of quartz. It has a translucent quality with mineral inclusions giving it aventurescence, a shimmering/glistening effect. The most common color is green, but it may also be orange, brown, yellow, blue, or gray.
Sunstone is sometimes mistaken with orange and red aventurine. However, sunstone is typically a higher transparency. Green aventurine may be mistaken for malachite when the there is an overabundance of fuchsite rendering the aventurine opaque.
The name aventurine derives from the Italian “a ventura” meaning by chance.
History and Lore
- Primitive aventurine tools were found in the Omo Valley, Ethiopia dating back two million years.
- Ancient Tibetians placed green aventurine in the eyes of statues believing it enhanced the statue’s visionary powers. They also wore aventurine jewelry to help with nearsightedness.
- Known as the Stone of the Amazons because it was believed rock deposits in Brazil were mined by Amazonian warriors.
- Carrying green aventurine in the left pocket brings good fortune.
- Placing three green aventurines in a dish and placing it in front of a garden gnome will bring good luck.
- Placing red aventurine in a red bag with a pinch of spice, such as cinnamon, will attract money.
- Placing red aventurine in red bag with dried rose petals will increase fertility.
Magical and Pystical Properties include
- reducing fevers
- reducing inflammation
- calming the nervous system
- helping with nearsightedness
- alleviating migraines
- normalizing blood pressure abnormalities
- reducing hypertension
- protecting from environmental pollutants
- diffusing negative energies
- amplifying focus
- stabilizing emotions
- promoting leadership
- promoting decisiveness
- enhancing cheerfulness
- bringing good luck when worn in the left pocket
- heart healing
- promoting comfort and well-being
- bringing luck and chance
- increasing perception and creative insight
- powerful mental healing
- increasing vitality
- promoting a positive outlook
- developing self-discipline
- developing inner strength
- balancing emotions
- balancing male and female energies
- opening creativity
- opening new opportunities
Discharging & Recharging
Discharge aventurine once a month by holding it under running water. To recharge aventurine, place it in the sun for a few hours. (In stone therapy, when using stones to heal, their energy is used up, requiring the stones to be recharged.)
photos: green aventurine by Ra’ike, Wikipedia; orange aventurine by Oceancetaceen Alice Chodura, Wikipedia
series logo image by wikimedia.org, awesome colorization by me!