If you’re like me, you spend a huge chunk of time checking, reading, and commenting (when able) on the blogs you follow. It’s rather addictive, but like most addictions, it is a time sucker. And exhausting.
How to Live with Our Addictions
I tried the blogger dashboard. It’s great for maybe five or six blogs. Past that and it’s cumbersome.
I tried creating a separate blog with a blog roll. It’s better but still a daunting task when you follow over (should I admit this?) 200 blogs.
Enter Google Reader.
When I first logged on, I found all the blogs I follow were automatically loaded into the reader for me.
Cool, awesome features:
- I can sort my blogs into categories.
- The feed loads into the reader. I only click through when I need to comment rather than click open fifty different windows.
- All blogs show up as black text on a white background. This alone speeds up my process. Flipping back and forth between dark blogs and light blogs is murder on my eyeballs.
- All new posts are bolded in your listing.
- Looking for a new blog? It has suggestions based on the blogs you follow. Cool.
- Blogger only lets you follow a limited number of blogs. When you hit that number, either you cannot follow the new blog you found or you have to unfollow someone else. In Google Reader you simply “Add Subscription” and you’re good to go – forever. True your new blogging buddy may not know you’re a follower, but after commenting for a couple of weeks they’ll catch on.
- You can “star” posts you want to go back to later. It’s kind of like having a bookmark section. Wow, I could have used that so many times in the past.
- Find out your reading trends. How much do you read? What blogs do you read the most often? Least often? Just click “g” then shift plus ”t” on your keyboard.
One thing I can’t figure out is why some posts show images while others don’t show images even though the posts have images when I click through. Any ideas out there? Does anyone read this on Google Reader? Do my images show up? (I have posted this on Google help, where it sits.)
In addition, if you read this on Google reader, you are unaware that I have posted a very important poll on my blog. It’s a must-answer-we-need-to-know type of question.
Any GRer’s (Google Readers) out there? Any cool tips to share?
image by clipart.com