Red is hot. Red is fierce. Red is passion, love, violence, and hate. Studies have shown that the color red causes a physical response in the body increasing respiration, raising blood pressure, and intensifying emotions.
Red is used to stimulate the body and mind as well as to increase circulation in chromotherapy.
- Red symbolizes lust, pain, blood, and anger as well as courage and sacrifice.
- Red is used to warn people of danger or to stop people from continuing forward.
- In China, red is associated with loyalty, honor, success, fortune, fertility, happiness, and passion. Brides wear red for good luck.
- In parts of Africa, red is a color of mourning and represents death.
Superstitions and Beliefs
- It is good luck to see a red bird.
- Wearing a red ruby ring on your left hand is supposed to bring good fortune.
- Redheads have hot tempers and wild personalities.
- Red roses mean, “I love you.” They represent romance and love.
- Deep pink roses mean thank you.
- Regular pink roses mean happiness.
- Light pink roses mean sympathy.
Phrases and Sayings
- a red letter day – a day of importance or significance
- caught red-handed – caught doing something wrong
- in the red – being overdrawn at the bank or losing money
- paint the town red – to celebrate and party
- red-blooded – someone who is bold and robust
- red carpet treatment and to roll out the red carpet – to treat someone like a celebrity
- red-faced – embarrassed
- red flag – denotes danger, warning, or an impending battle
- red herring – something that deceives or distracts from the truth
- seeing red – to be intensely angry
Shades and Tints of Red
Pink: first love, emotional love, friendship, feminine qualities, passiveness
Dark red: vigor, willpower, rage, anger, leadership, courage, longing, malice, and wrath
Red and You*
Are you wearing red right now?
You feel energetic and ambitious today. You are quite extroverted and courageous.
Are you wearing pink?
You are in an affectionate, loving mood. You are very empathic and understanding today.
Are you wearing maroon?
You are fun-loving.
Look in your closet. Is red a predominate color in your wardrobe?
You are impulsive and energetic. You are ambitious and strive for the best in everything. You like to be the center of attention and are sometimes insensitive.
Is it pink?
You are very affectionate but may lack willpower. You need the support of others.
Do you just dislike the color red?
You have been rejected and feel defeated or perhaps suffer from a physical illness.
Is it pink?
You need to reconcile with your mother or father.
decorating, and in your wardrobe!
How does red make you feel?